Are you listening to your head or your heart?
Brilliance Within is all about listening to what’s held deep inside and releasing it. When we start to listen and take time to recognise and understand our hidden thoughts, feelings, fears and emotions, we can start to truly reveal our Brilliance Within…
Buried deep within us are our dreams, hopes and wishes and our distant memories of things we once thought we’d love to do but in the hubbub of life, we’ve forgotten. Life sometimes takes over and we become lost amongst our fears, negative emotions or maybe working too hard and rushing through our daily life and/or feeling trapped in a relationship that’s not working for us…
We often allow the Negative Committee in our head to shout so loud that it feels impossible to listen to our heart.
… and then we wonder why we’re feeling unhappy, stressed, frustrated, disillusioned with life, people, jobs, relationships etc…….
You’ll know when the Negative Committee is ruling your life, if you become conscious about what’s going on in your head.
If you’re thinking thoughts that are based around a lack of belief in yourself e.g.“I’m rubbish, I always get it wrong, I’ll never be able to do what they can do…” or maybe you feel like there are people who are working against you and you believe that the World and its Oyster are to blame for how your life is panning out, then maybe it’s time to start sacking the Negative Committee and put your hearing aid in so you can hear the whispers from your heart! You can read more about the Negative Committee in this previous blog post… The Negative Committee In Your Head
When we start to live from our Heart, we’re able to start creating a life aligned to our inner hopes and dreams and we start to seek opportunities to enable those dreams to become part of our reality. As a result, our stresses fade away and we recognise the things that make us happy. We start to realise that we are in control of our destiny and nobody else (not even our Negative Committee) can stop us living life in the way we want to live it, rather than living life the way we feel we should….
If it’s time to drown out the Negative Committee in your life, The Brilliance Within Life Audit is a great step by step guide to help you. Is it time to start remembering what’s in your heart and to start shutting your Negative Committee up.
You can access the free Life Audit Step by Step guide when you sign up to the Brilliance Within Blog and you’ll automatically start to receive the guide straight to your inbox.
There are also some simple tips that will help you to start allowing your Heart to Shout Louder until it drowns out the Negative Committee:
- Use Positive Affirmations – they really do work!
- Our subconscious mind doesn’t know the difference between imagination and reality, so if we tell ourselves something often enough, our subconscious mind will believe it. This can work for us positively AND NEGATIVELY! So, be careful about what you’re telling yourself – if you tell yourself something’s impossible – I can guarantee it will be! Start to tell yourself the positive things and that’s what you’ll start to experience.
- Some great affirmations that I like to use are: “It’s all happening perfectly” – This was one I read years ago in a Susan Jeffers book and it helps to start trusting that no matter what is happening in life, it’s an opportunity to learn. And “Everyday in every way I’m feeling better and better, stronger and stronger and more and more relaxed” – this one helps me to stop the ‘What if’s’ – the doubts and worries that start to creep in from time to time… (I’d love to hear what your favourite affirmations are if you use them – leave me a comment below!)
- Stop focussing on the final outcome
- Start breaking the journey down into smaller achievable steps
- I’m a great believer in setting some goals and using visualisation, but when we only focus on the outcome and we forget to recognise that there may be a path to follow to reach our destination, we stop enjoying the day to day steps and we feel disheartened and disappointed because we feel like the outcome is impossible to reach.
- Breaking down a goal into daily steps that can be taken, we start to enjoy the journey and not just the final destination.
- Sometimes we realise along the route that the destination we were heading toward isn’t actually what we want anymore – that’s fine because we’ve learned about ourselves along the route.
- Choose how you respond to situations/people/life
- As discussed in my previous blog post: How do you know if you’re on the Right Track? . we all have a choice and nothing is ever impossible. We can choose how and what we think and what decision we make. No matter how bad a situation feels at the time, we can always walk away and there’s ALWAYS a Plan B!
- When we start to focus on the good things in life (no matter how small they feel compared to the problems…), then we start to notice more good things happening.
- Looking for positive choices, isn’t about denying feelings of fear and pain, it’s about acknowledging that these are the only things we’re experiencing at that moment. We all have to experience difficulties, pressure and loss etc. and these experiences really can help us to learn about ourselves so we can move on as a stronger and wiser human being…
- Don’t let FEAR stand in your way
- When we’re honest with ourselves and we recognise that fear is holding us back, we can start to take action that helps us to overcome our fears. If you’ve never read Susan Jeffers book “Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway” – I would highly recommend it! or you can read some of my thoughts about fear here: Why you should ‘Fear Nothing’ and Do You Trust Yourself?
- Feeling fear is a signal we can notice and choose how we respond. The difference between living the life you dream of and a life of insecurities and dashed down hopes, is how we choose to respond to our fears.
- When we experience fear, we can choose to remember that this is an opportunity to push us out of our comfort zone. (I’m not talking about the fear you may feel when you encounter a dangerous person in the street or your house being broken into… in those cases, it’s right to ‘take flight’).
- Most of us live daily within the boundaries of our Comfort Zone and yet if we extend those boundaries by recognising our fears and taking some action to overcome them, we have the opportunity to open up our World and to expand our horizons…
- Everybody experiences fear when they face a new challenge (even if it doesn’t look like they are..), the difference is that some people push beyond the fear and some are forced back into their ‘safe corner’.
- It’s ok to take some risks in life – when you learned to walk, you took risks every time you tried to stand up and take a step. You fell down lots of times and you became stronger and wiser as a result. Start by taking some small risks to push yourself to a new level in your life. What is it you’re avoiding?
- When we begin to use our inbuilt acting skills and act as if something has already happened or that we already are a stronger, more confident, wiser person etc. there comes a moment where we are no longer acting out the part and we are actually experiencing greater confidence, wisdom etc.
Do you have any tips to add to the list that may help one of our fellow bloggers/readers? If so, Please Leave a Comment below…
Lorna from Cottage Necessities http://www.cottagenecessities.org suggested that this would make a great printable quote, so here’s a link to a PDF that you can use to print off the quote and remind yourself on a daily basis to Listen to your Heart!
Please read my first post
Fabulous thanks – Are you listening to your heart?
Fabulous post Wendy with so many valuable nuggets of truth in here. I find that my affirmations are even more potent when they’re written and rewritten. I love writing in my Gratitude at night too. I also love the pretending as if as well, that really does work. Fake it till we make it! 🙂 Here’s to keeping our focus on the positive, listening to our heart and booting out that negative committee once and for all. Have a great week. xo
Thanks so much Miri! Yep that Negative Committee has been sacked but they still keep popping back in to shout a few obscenities – I’m going to a get a stronger door!! You have a fabulous week too xx
Can you get me one of those stronger doors too please Wendy? My negative committee has been far too persistent lately. xx
We can’t have that Miri – I’ve shipped it first class! xxx
Express post I hope! Thanks Wendy. xx
Thanks for the shoutout Wendy. I’ve used the pretending or acting as if many times and it really helps to lift my confidence and achieve my goal. Affirmation and gratitude help us connect to our hearts. The “ negative Committee “, I’ll have to remember that one. It’s time to send them packing!
You’re very welcome – thanks for the inspiration! Yep – the Negative Committee most definitely needs to be shipped out!! xx
An amazing article! Each and every quote in here is very inspirational. Your advise on vision board helps me a lot and following it. Thanks for these beautiful share Wendy.
Thanks So Much Sumith – that means such a lot to me!! x