How I Deal With Rosacea To Improve My Confidence

How I Deal With Rosacea To Improve My Confidence
Hypnotherapy Helps

I’ve suffered from Rosacea since my early 30’s. Initially, I had the ‘acne’ rosacea which was horrible and had a big impact on my Self Confidence. I used to feel very embarrassed and had to force myself to go out, when sometimes I just felt like hiding away.

Thankfully, I learned from my experience as a hypnotherapist, that the worst thing to do when feeling like that, would be to stop going about my normal business, and I’ve since helped several people to start living their lives more fully, after hiding themselves away, due to suffering from various skin conditions. In one case this had led to agoraphobia and thankfully, that person is now leading a full happy life…

Using a combination of hypnotherapy and cognitive behaviour type therapy, I’ve been able to help people to deal with their anxieties and improve their confidence enough to face the outside world.. Hiding away is definitely not the answer….

In my recent Confidence Series, I talked about How To Be Confident In Your Own Skin: Confidence Series Part 6 and Inner Confidence really is so important. That’s not to say however, that we can’t give our inner confidence a boost from the outside too!

How we look on the outside can really impact on how we feel on the inside, so it’s great news for people suffering from skin conditions that in recent years however, the treatments for helping skin conditions such as rosacea have really improved. In the 1990’s, I had to rely on antibiotics which I took periodically for several years and which always concerned me, as I don’t like taking ‘medication’ if I can avoid it.

Thankfully the acne spots eventually disappeared but there wasn’t much I could do about the redness. I tried lots of creams and potions at significant cost on occasion, but nothing ever really worked and I relied on makeup to camouflage the redness.

There have been a number of new developments in recent years which have improved the range of treatments to deal with various skin conditions, including Rosacea.

New Treatments To Calm Redness

A few weeks ago, I became a guinea pig for my niece who’s been doing some additional Beauty Therapy Training, in Skin Rejuvenation and after just one laser light and one electrolysis session, the redness on my cheeks and nose has significantly calmed down.

The Laser session calmed down the general redness on my cheeks and nose, so I no longer look like a ‘heavy drinker’, when I don’t have any makeup on!!! The electrolysis worked on specific deeper thread veins on my cheeks and I was delighted with the result after just a single treatment..

The BEFORE photo below was taken last year when I posted about Rosacea How To Cover Rosacea: Manchester Lifestyle Bloggers ‘Makeup Monday’ Tips and was before I bought my new Cannon camera however, it still shows how much redder my skin was prior to the Laser & Electrolosis treatements, even if the quality of the picture isn’t as good as the AFTER shot.

rosacea-rednesslaser-treatment-rosacea

BEFORE                                                                             AFTER

For anyone who suffers from rosacea and feels embarrassed about the redness, both these treatments are definitely worth considering.

(I’ll also admit – I was also my nieces guinea pig for a LASER BRAZILLIAN…. you know… down below!! She sprung that one on me and saw places no one really ever should see – definitely no before and after photo’s of that treatment, which is definitely for an ‘X’ rated site!!!)

Even just the single electrolysis treatment on my face though, calmed the redness down enough, for me to feel confident to wear no makeup by the pool when we were away on holiday, which is something I’d never have done previously.

laser-treatment-rosacea

I’m definitely going to go and have a full course of treatments (I think they recommend 4 to 6 depending on the severity of the condition), as I love the thought of not having to wear so much foundation because as I get older, heavy foundation is increasingly difficult to wear because of the growing number of wrinkles!!

CAUTION: Be careful where you have these treatments done. I was fortunate to have the treatment in a training environment, with the close observation of a very experienced trainer, however, there is currently no regulation of these treatments and particularly in the case of the LASER, the effects of poor delivery can cause burning and scarring, so it’s ESSENTIAL to do your research about which salon to use and don’t just go for the ‘cheapest’ option!

Using foundation to cover Rosacea may still be the preferred option for many people and again, over the years, I’ve spent a fortune searching for that ‘best camouflage’.
Best Foundations To Cover Rosacea

If I’m going out for the evening, I’ve found that the Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation, provides the best cover and the best staying power. It doesn’t slide off under the heat of the ‘disco lights’…. oops.. showing my age.. sorry ‘Clubbers’..  I wear the Ivory Beige which sounds like it would be very pale, but actually it’s a medium colour and gives me confidence that my rosacea will remain covered for the whole night!

estee-lauder-double-wear-foundation

• Wendy
      August 8, 2017 / 11:42 pm

Haha! Yep – even after treatment I do NEED that makeup!! Maybe not after a few more sessions though! xx

1. August 8, 2017 / 3:27 pm

Great post Wendy. I can’t agree more that confidence should come from the inside but giving it a helping hand from the outside definitely helps boost your self esteem! The results of your treatment look amazing! As for the Brazilian, lucky you. I’d love to have that treatment, no more shaving lol

PS. Sorry I’m late catching up on your posts 😊

• Wendy
      August 8, 2017 / 9:20 pm

Yes definitely – that little ‘boost’ did wonders for my self esteem – and as it was part of my nieces training – it was free!! Strangely (or maybe not so strange) – it was something I’d added to my vision board a while back before my niece started her training… so it worked!! The Brazilian though was the ‘pain’ I had to suffer for my ‘facial treatment’.. it would take several treatments for better results so it was ‘all pain and no gain’ for that one.. worth it for the face! Although no treatment could save my blushes when the Brazilian was underway!!!
      Never apologise for ‘late reading’ – I’m the biggest culprit on having to do some backlog catch up reading at the moment.. Thanks for taking the time to pop across.. xx

• August 8, 2017 / 9:40 pm

I would say persevere with the Brazilian, I had an at home kit & now only have to shave my legs rarely. If I’d kept it up I wouldn’t have to shave at all! The treatment you had on your face has given amazing results! Will definitely be looking into that. Also gotta love Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation 😉

• Wendy
          August 8, 2017 / 10:24 pm

Fab – yes I’m definitely going to suffer the embarrassment and continue the treatments .. I’ll just have to put up with the ‘red face’ for a bit longer and slap on the Double Wear!! xx

2. August 5, 2017 / 6:15 am

This is a great post, Wendy! I am so touched by your journey with your skin, and the self-love and acceptance that goes with it. Very funny on the Brasilian (I’ve never done that < ) You are too funny.

Keep up the great healing and sharing. You are awesome. Love you Wendy. Debbie

• Wendy
      August 5, 2017 / 7:57 am

HAha – thanks Debbie.. and the Brazilian – neither had I previously and my niece saw places no person ever really should.. She ‘sprung’ it on me in exchange for the ‘rosacea’ treatment.. little minx!! Have a wonderful weekend Debbie.. much love xx

3. August 4, 2017 / 8:40 am

I’m all for confident-boosting treatments! The result looks really impressive. I have a hand held laser device by Tria for home use. I can’t pinpoint exactly how but it is definitely improving my skin. Let’s compare the note again a six months time?😬xx

4. August 2, 2017 / 4:56 pm

Goodness Wendy that treatment made a huge difference. Its wonderful to be a guinea pig for all those delights! How is the eyebrow treatment fairing ? They look good in the photograph. 😊

• Wendy
      August 2, 2017 / 5:03 pm

Thanks Brigid – yep I’m really chuffed with the results and hopefully I’ll be back there soon for some further sessions ( on the face preferably…). The eyebrows are fabulous – I just have to go back for the final top up session to fill in any little gaps that didn’t take and I’m hoping to fit it in next week if possible. I’m trying to put a video together to show the treatment and finished results so once complete I’ll post that (and the kitchen.. ). I’ll admit though I’m struggling with learning the video software. I lost windows movie maker which was really easy when I changed laptops.. Watch this space but don’t hold your breath!! xx

5. Osyth
    August 2, 2017 / 10:56 am

Anything that effects the way we look has the potential to sent our self confidence or even shatter it. As ever your candid sharing of what you have been through, positive advice for psychological and cosmetic help and the very real possibility of a breakthrough treatment add up to a really valuable article. I’m sure your fur-less nethers neither are a not to behold but am extremely glad that you drew the candid line at sharing …. 😂😂 xx

• Wendy
      August 2, 2017 / 11:00 am

Haha – laughing loudly Osyth – thanks for brightening my morning with your fab comment.. the ‘fur-less nethers’ has tickled me pink!! Great to hear from you and I hope life is ‘fun’ for you too at the moment and you’re enjoying your ‘new home’ wherever that may be! xx