5 Easy Ways to Healthier Eating

I recently came across some interesting facts that I wasn’t aware of that will make a difference to the way I cook some foods in future and which with little or even less effort than normal, increases the nutrients we absorb from our food.

1. BOIL VEGETABLES ‘WHOLE’ WHERE POSSIBLE

While doing an internet search of the Newcastle University Study on changing to a low carbohydrate diet to help reverse diabetes, I came across another study about the benefits in particular of carrots but also other root vegetables such as parsnips and celeriac. Dr Brandtwho is conducting the study said: “the secret of healthier and tastier carrots is to use a bigger pan so they can be cooked whole. ” She said that this increases the anti-cancer properties contained in a cooked portion of carrots by 25 per cent. The study is ongoing but hey why wait.. I’m going to stop chopping and start cooking carrots ‘whole’ whenever possible. Apparently American researchers have also discovered that cooking potatoes ‘whole’ also retains the amount of potassium that is retain for absorption into the body after cooking by 50%. (As I’m on a low carb diet, the potatoes isn’t something I’ll be trying but worth knowing if you do eat potatoes…)

2. EAT FAT

Over the last 30-40 years, we’ve been told to reduce the amount of fat we eat. Research is now reversing this advice. It’s important to eat the right sort of fats but to reduce fat in your diet, reduces the nutritional benefit of other foods you eat. So for example, fat is needed to enable the beneficial antioxidants found in fruit and vegetables however, adding some fat to the food such as olive oil or avocado, increases the absorption rate of antioxidants into the body by 4 times. That means you will receive 4 times more goodness by adding some fat rather than just eating the fruit or vegetables on their own. In addition, the research I’ve been following in connection with the benefits of ‘low carb’ also shows that adding natural fats, even butter, cream and crème fraiche etc. to sauces eaten with high protein foods, staves off those hunger pangs for longer. So all in all, adding a drop of cream over some strawberries is beneficial and tasty!

3. ENJOY WHAT YOU EAT

According to research in Sweden, enjoying your food, stimulates a more effective digestive system which is then able to absorb nutrients into the body more effectively. So again, adding a creamy sauce to a low carbohydrate, high protein dish can make the food tastier and more enjoyable and thus the body is able to absorb more nutrients. Yum – bring on the creamy mushroom sauce with my chicken tonight! If you look at some of the low carb recipes on my blog, you’ll notice that they often contain cream or full fat Greek yoghurt etc. and yet I’ve been able to lose nearly 2 stone over the last 10 months (just 3 more pounds to go…)  and I’ve not felt as if I’ve been depriving myself or eating ‘diet’ food… or that swing from bloated to hunger pangs that I felt when I followed a higher carbohydrate diet. Check out Sumith’s blog if you want to be truly inspired by the visual art of tempting the tasteboods… https://keralas.live/category/food-art/

4. BUY SMALL FRUITS

When I shop for fruit, I usually pick the large plump fruits and these are often the more expensive fruits on the shelf. For example, large plump strawberries look more appealing and are always more expensive than the little strawberries which tend to be sold in the ‘value’ range. Well, I’ve learned this week that “SIZE DOES MATTER” (don’t tell hubby – haha)… Seriously… large is not better.. (oh maybe he won’t mind after all.. yikes I’m in for trouble if he ever reads this post!!) Apparently ‘smaller’ fruits contain less water and therefore more nutrients per gramme… So this tip is good for health and the purse as the smaller strawberries are often cheaper too! Good news all round…

5. STORE FRUIT AT ROOM TEMPERATURE

Apparently, some fruits continue to develop nutrients like beta-carotene after they’ve been picked, but not if you store them in the fridge. Keeping fruits like strawberries, tomatoes (yep they are fruit not veg), melon and peaches out of the fridge will improve their nutritional value.

So, in a nutshell, in 2017 this Manchester Lifestyle Blogger is looking for:

Small, warm, visually attractive, creamy and in one piece….. pretty well sums it up!

SOUNDS GOOD TO ME – WHAT DO YOU THINK?

1. January 29, 2017 / 1:23 pm

Wow that was really helpful. I certainly wasn’t aware the room temperature thing. And I used to keep a lot of em in fridge.

• January 29, 2017 / 6:21 pm

Me too Isabella.. I learned quite a lot writing this post and have made some ‘kitchen’ changes as a result! Thanks so much for reading and commenting which is VERY much appreciated xx

• January 29, 2017 / 8:28 pm

Looking forward for more such amazing write-ups.

• January 29, 2017 / 8:35 pm

Brilliant – thank you and I hope I am able to meet your expectations.. xx

2. January 26, 2017 / 7:40 pm

Thank you! Whole carrots for me! Good to hear how to pack in the good stuff.

• February 4, 2017 / 11:32 pm

Thanks Heather – I was really surprised at this one too! I’m sorry for the delayed response.. I’ve just found your comment lingering in the WordPress Spam folder.. xx

3. January 14, 2017 / 12:09 pm

Love these tips, thanks Wendy. Looks like from now on I’ll be boiling my carrots whole. And small is better hey, yep, better not tell hubby, hehe! ?

• January 14, 2017 / 12:28 pm

Haha – poor hubbies… if they only knew how much fun we make of them in our blogging world!!
      I know – I couldn’t believe that just making such a small changes as leaving the carrots whole would increase the nutritional value so much.. and it saves time and effort too, so double bonus! xx

• January 14, 2017 / 12:34 pm

Absolutely does. Definitely doing it next time. The carrots that is. And you know what? What our hubs don’t know can’t hurt them, haha! xo

• January 14, 2017 / 12:39 pm

Phew – that’s ok then.. It’s a good job or I’d be prosecuted for ‘assault and battery’ hehe x

4. January 13, 2017 / 12:44 pm

that’s enlightening…thanks so much

• January 13, 2017 / 2:43 pm

Thanks Noah.. I was amazed when I realised how much additional value can be added by just a few very small changes.. Thanks x

5. January 13, 2017 / 2:01 am

Very helpful, Wendy! Thank you. I particularly am interested in cooking carrots whole (I hadn’t heard that & I used to be a Holistic Health Counselor).

I like herbs / spices – they are so healthy and are packed full of anti-oxidants. So easy to add to your meal too. And fun and tasty.

Much love and blessings … appreciate your sharing,
    Debbie

• January 13, 2017 / 8:45 am

I know -I had no idea that such a simple change can make such a big difference to the nutrients that are retained in cooking.. I think it’s still ongoing and fairly new research and I came across it by chance looking for something else on an internet search.. Definitely an easy yet healthy change to make.. x

6. January 12, 2017 / 9:40 pm

Very informative Wendy!! Me too will try to stop chopping before cooking the vegetable. And thanks a lot for the mention. I am really honoured.???Those few tips on plating could be helpful for some body.

• January 12, 2017 / 11:07 pm

I know – I was surprised what a difference to increasing the nutritional value is just by not chopping.. You’re very welcome re the mention.. anybody popping across with the link is up for a ‘veritable treat’! x

• January 13, 2017 / 5:32 am

Thanks a lot Wendy??

• January 12, 2017 / 8:11 pm

Thanks Bella xx

7. PaperPuff
    January 12, 2017 / 3:57 pm

Some interesting points here. I will stop chopping the veg before cooking too!

• January 12, 2017 / 8:13 pm

I know – who’d think such a simple change would increase the nutritional value.. xx

8. January 12, 2017 / 2:56 pm

All of these points are spot-on and what we do daily.

• January 12, 2017 / 8:14 pm

Brilliant – I’m certain adapting to include these now too! x

9. January 12, 2017 / 2:10 pm

I am in love with your second suggestion: Eat fat! I know. I know. I shouldn’t take it to extreme. But I think I’ll have a small pat of butter on my English muffin today!

• January 12, 2017 / 8:54 pm

Yey! So many times we’ve heard not to eat butter but you are far better to eat real butter than any ‘low fat’ spread.. However.. it’s not all good news… You need to cut the ‘muffin’ to be really healthy! haha – sorry I couldn’t resist.. x

10. January 12, 2017 / 12:45 pm

Very useful advice! Thank you, Wendy. I definitely bear it in mind. It was really funny that there was no broccoli to be seen on the shelves of my local Sainsbury Local. I shared a good giggle with the staff, agreeing how annual New Year detoxing was underway amongst the Londoners!

• January 12, 2017 / 8:45 pm

haha – I wonder how long we’ll all last with the detoxing.. xx