I was asked by Etta to write a Guest Post for her blog https://simplyettad.wordpress.com/ Unfortunately technology has got the better of me as I couldn’t work out how to pass on the blog post directly to Etta’s site…. So as a last resort, I’m posting it here instead.. Please do pop across to Etta’s site though as it’s full of Xmas Cheer!
CHANGE YOUR ACCESSORIES TO CHANGE YOUR LOOK!
Having some ‘classic’ capsule outfits in your wardrobe is key to keeping life simple and obviously the ‘Little Black Dress’ is one of those essential items to have…
If you have a plain classic style black dress, it can come out year after year and changing the accessories you wear with it will completely change the look of the dress. Nobody will ever notice that it’s the same one you wore last year!
Deciding on what style you want to achieve is the first thing you need to consider. Are you going to a party that needs you to have an air of smart elegance, glitzy glamour or something more trendy/funky?
Once you’re clear on the look you need to achieve, then you can start to create that look with the accessories you choose.
Classic Evening Elegance:
- Stick with simplicity for this look, choosing ‘understated’ classic style jewellery such a simple pearl, gold or diamond earrings, necklace or bracelet
- A pair of classic black stilettos/court shoes works well – nothing too glitzy.. However, if you prefer flat shoes, you can’t go wrong with a simple black flat smart pump style shoe instead..
- You can add some colour and still retain an ‘elegant look’ whilst adding a bit of contrast but you need to be more careful about which colours you add. For example, adding a splash of cream with a jacket, pashmina or scarf can really enhance the outfit.. Other ‘elegant’ colours include pale pink, jade green, fawn, but definitely STEER AWAY from too much ‘shimmer’ or animal print!
- Hair and makeup should also be kept stylish & simple. You could add a bit of classic red lippy and still look elegant but don’t spoil the look with grotty nails or nails that have been ‘jazzed up’ too much – you can’t go wrong with the French manicure for simple elegance..
- This is the chance to really go to town with some bling! You can choose diamante (or obviously real diamonds if you’ve got them!) Alternatively, you can add some bold coloured jewellery… ruby red, gold and silver completely change the look. Long Earrings and bold bracelets really work to glam up your little black dress..
- Adding a fur shrug, a jewel coloured sequin wrap or a pashmina in a colour to match your jewellery also works really well..
- For this look you can go HIGH and BLINGY with the shoes too. Shoes with some diamante or in a bold colour can really make you ‘stand out from the crowd’.
- For me, this is all about strong colours with the makeup too.. Adding a dark or red lipstick – Dior 999 Ruby Red is perfect and helps achieve a bold glamorous look. How Do You Like My New Red Lipstick? This season, it’s the ‘matte’ look rather than glossy for the lips. Black and glitter gold on the eyes looks stunning and really adds to the Hollywood Glamour…
- You can go the extra mile with your nails for the Hollywood Glamour look too with strong reds, golds or adding some glitter all adding to the overall ‘glam’ of the outfit.
- Adding some curls or a ‘swept up’ hairstyle and maybe some hair extensions so you can really get that ‘Hollywood Hair’. If you have short hair, maybe adding some sleek shine will help to create some glamour..
- Adding bright luminous type colours or some animal print over your little black dress will really ‘funk up’ the look and there are some fabulous leopard skin furry jackets which also incorporate some brighter colours too… Brilliant!
- Any bright or animal print high shoes or funky low pumps will also trend up your dress and I’ve seen some fab bracelets which oncorporate a combination of bright colour and leopard print and would look great against a black dress…
- Makeup for this look can also be bright with some luminous colours and shimmering bright eyes and either bright or very dark lips.
- There are so many ways to wear your nails at the moment and with all the luminous colours and foils etc. your nails can really bring ‘the look’ to life!
- If you have long hair, you could go for a much fuller backcombed look along the ‘Amy Winehouse’ type styles or just some lose waves and some funky hair accessories for shorter hair..
So there you have it .. 1 Little Black Dress and 3 very different styles, achieved by changing your accessories, hair and makeup!
Have a Fabulous Time this Party Season!