Have a GREAT Conversation Today!

Whilst on our recent camping holiday, we spent precious time as a family chatting round the campfire – no internet, no TV and no interruptions!! We had some lovely evenings and great conversations, putting the World to right and chatting about the magnificence and mysteries of the Universe…

It highlighted to me how much time we spend rushing through our lives when we are at home, being distracted with technology, social media, work etc. without taking the time to have a deeper and more meaningful conversation.

You may not be able to sit round a camp fire for a chat with your family or work colleagues every day and with our increasing reliance on technology, it’s easy to get tied up in emails, text messages, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter….. and the list goes on! We often forget that we can actually have a REAL conversation instead.

IMG_0390

Taking some time to  converse with family, friends and colleagues will enhance your relationships in work and at home. Although – Take Care – Don’t get smoke in your eyes!!

When you go to send your next text/email message – ask yourself first whether it would be ‘Good to Talk’ instead…

Each day, try to:

• Put the technology to one side for a few minutes and take time out to have a conversation with someone!
  • Dig that little bit deeper asking ‘How, What, When, Where, Who’ type questions to move below the surface of what someone tells you initially…
  • Listen carefully – you may be surprised by what you hear…

It may mean getting up and walking a few meters across the office to chat to a colleague rather than sending an email or picking up the phone to have a chat with a friend rather than always sending a text message.

You can’t beat that ‘face to face’ conversation as it’s easy to miss the ‘essence’ of what someone wants to communicate, when we can’t see their body language and I’m sure we’ve all experienced those ‘confusing’ messages that we receive by email and text etc. because we’ve misunderstood or misinterpreted the message that we’ve received – or indeed that our message sent has been misread!

Technology can still have a place in enhancing our ‘distance’ relationships if we use Facetime, Skype etc. to maximise the ‘face to face’ conversations.

And then of course – Remember:

Canva positive message 2

• September 6, 2016 / 7:26 pm

I can’t deny it- I’m very lucky to have them all so close by and to be able to spend holidays together too! Much appreciated. xx

• September 6, 2016 / 7:28 pm

such great pics its lovely to have a family but its more beautiful when you emotionally attach with them

• September 6, 2016 / 7:31 pm

You’re quite right – it is and I do.. as you can probably tell.. xx

1. August 28, 2016 / 11:55 pm

Hi Wendy, another great post. I agree people do not take the time to sit and talk to one another like they use to. We don’t even talk on the phone…text instead. That picture looks like everyone was enjoying the conversation. 🙂

• August 28, 2016 / 11:59 pm

I’m guilty of texting instead of calling myself and this family camping trip made me realise how much we miss out on when we don’t make that ‘face to face’ or ‘ear to ear’ contact with each other. We had some great laughs and some pretty ‘deep’ conversations round that lovely campfire – it was like stepping back in time to ‘pre-internet’ and definitely something I’m going to make sure I do more of! Hope you’re having a lovely weekend.. xx

• August 27, 2016 / 6:15 pm

Thanks Ali – I’m so glad you enjoyed this post! Have a great weekend xx

2. August 26, 2016 / 9:06 pm

Love it Wendy … I like to talk … a lot lol
    Great post x

• August 26, 2016 / 10:52 pm

Wishing you some wonderful conversations then! So glad you enjoyed this post – fab! Have a brilliant weekend x

3. August 26, 2016 / 10:35 am

Lovely post Wendy. Used to camp a lot and it was so much fun. Just have my little open beach tent now – taken out at every opportunity.

• August 26, 2016 / 11:20 am

I know – it was like a trip to the past – we used to go camping 30+ years ago and then we advanced to a tourer caravan but sadly it died about 10 years ago and we haven’t been since. It was a lovely return to a very relaxing family style holiday and one we’ll definitely be doing more of now with our new tent! x

4. August 26, 2016 / 9:06 am

Wendy hope you really enjoyed your camping:)

• August 26, 2016 / 11:34 am

We really did – we haven’t been camping for about 20 years and we plan to do much more now we have invested in a new tent! x

• August 26, 2016 / 4:37 pm

So do I Sumith – I’ve been re-bitten by the bug although it’s a bit more like ‘glamping’ now than the ‘camping’ I used to do! x

5. August 26, 2016 / 8:22 am

Great Post, there is nothing like a good chit chat… good for the heart and soul.

• August 26, 2016 / 8:24 am

Oh so true! And those – deeper questions – you’ve given me lots to go at on our next camping trip! x

6. August 26, 2016 / 8:13 am

Lol! Love the last pic! I like to talk…I’m such a slow texter! Great post : )x

• August 26, 2016 / 8:18 am

Thanks Samantha – My family laugh at the mis-spellings on my texts particularly when I can’t find my glasses!! Glad you enjoyed it.. x

• August 26, 2016 / 8:24 am

That’s why I make calls rather than texts..I had to turn the predictive text off on my phone-I had no idea what it was talking about most of the time, and hospitals will be forever “hodipax”…lol!x

• August 26, 2016 / 8:26 am

hahahaha! I definitely know the feeling.. Hilarious and laughing loud! x