(Beautiful card made by my talented daughter-in-law Jenny)
I’m a great believer in setting ambitious targets and stretching the boundaries in the workplace but when it comes to my personal dreams and ambitions, I am sometimes a bit slower off the mark. I make excuses: “I’ve not had enough time” is usually a favourite… Then there’s the “I don’t know enough yet – I need to learn more first…” – yes I’ve had this belief that I had to be Perfect before I start the journey …
What I’ve learned over recent years is that it is all about perspective and how we think about our progress:
- What may seem quick for some, will feel slow for others
- What may seem possible for one may seem impossible for another
It can be easy to lose motivation and give up on your dream at this point….
And I’ll admit it (don’t tell my hubby as I RARELY admit to being wrong…) but this time my belief that I had to be PERFECT before starting was indeed wrong and now I know without doubt that YOU DON’T HAVE TO BE PERFECT AT SOMETHING BEFORE YOU CAN MAKE A START!!!
The key though is not to be put off or feel disheartened when you’re not getting there as quickly as you would like, – sometimes, patience can be a virtue! What’s critical is to keep taking a further step even when it feels you are falling behind.
For some, it may feel like one step forward and two steps back and it feels ‘impossible’. At this point it’s essential that you dig a bit deeper:-
- Remind yourself what you’re aiming toward and what the benefits of getting there will be for you.
- Remind yourself of how achieving your goal will make you feel and write it down again… and again… and again….
- Have another look at your VISION BOARD 5 Steps to Create Your ‘Focus’ Vision Board as a further reminder of what you are aiming for.
There will be some obstacles to overcome along the route – some you can climb over and some you have to detour around.
- Ask yourself again “How Can I Achieve This?” and you will find that the answer will materialise.
DONT GIVE UP ON YOUR DREAM or GOAL JUST BECAUSE IT’S NOT HAPPENING FAST ENOUGH!
- Set yourself some smaller ‘milestones’ along the way – that way you will feel that you are moving closer to the ultimate goal as you remember to ‘stop and smell the roses’ along the route!
- Take time to reward yourself as you meet each one of these ‘mini goals’ along your journey.
FORWARD IS FORWARD!
Remember – “A Journey of a Thousand Miles Begins with a Single Step”
Each step you take regardless of how quickly, takes you a step closer to your dream…
And always CELEBRATE your success when you cross the finish line so that your motivated to start moving toward your next goal! x