Change – the one thing in life that is certain and inevitable.
How you deal with change and make progress in your life in the words of Tony Robbins is key!
It is impossible to go through life without facing ‘change’ – our bodies change as we age, our environment changes, relationships change, jobs change, Governments change etc. etc. etc. You’d think we would be used to it wouldn’t you? Some changes we expect or we’ve planned it and then some changes come along and simply knock us off our feet!
Often we fear change, we worry about what may happen, we try to stay in our ‘comfy slippers’… As Tony Robbins states: “progress is optional”. We can use the change positively or we can try to fight against it…
I’ve learned that when some change occurs that makes me feel uncomfortable or fearful or stressed, that’s often the time when you look back after the situation is over and realise that a powerful force had been in motion to create the circumstances necessary to push me into action. To shake off my ‘comfy slippers’ and move forward with my life, along what has turned out to be a better path.
I recognise that when I’ve ignored these feelings in the past, ignored the message that was being highlighted to me and on occasion I’ve rejected the ‘change’ that was meant to occur, that the message has just got bigger until there is no choice – I’ve had to make a change even when it felt like it was the worst thing at the time!
When this occurs now, I pause for a moment and remind myself that no matter what is happening, I am being provided with an opportunity to learn and grow and I have finally developed enough ‘faith’ in most circumstances to trust that things are happening as they are meant to be and will inevitably change for the better in the ‘bigger picture’ of my life!
With this knowledge, I’m often able to ride the storm of change a little bit more easily and able to ‘go with the flow’ rather than trying to ‘swim against the tide’. The journey may be hard at the time but the destination will be a new island to explore and often there is some treasure to uncover..
Attitude is key – changing the way we think really does help so rather than ignoring the signs that are delivering the message that things in our lives need to change or maybe burying our heads in the sand and trying to continue without making the changes necessary, we should STOP & LISTEN to the message and ask ourselves the question: “What is this message showing me?”
- Is it highlighting that something is wrong about a situation we are in and highlighting some lessons we need to learn?
- Maybe that we need to ‘leave’ the situation behind us and move on to pastures new…. to start a new journey?
Once the ‘meaning’ of the message has been identified, make some changes! Set some clear goals, develop a vision for how you would like your life to look. If you don’t know what great things you want in life, how will you ever know which path to take when you reach the crossroads?
Remember “A Journey of a Thousand Miles Begins With a Single Step” – BUT – We need to know which path we want to travel along first…
Here are a few actions you can take to help you deal with change and to create more success:
- Recognise and Reflect on the signs and messages that are sent to tell you that you have a lesson to learn i.e. if you are feeling disturbed or uncomfortable or stressed and anxious about something … and then adjust your attitude toward yourself – Write down what you think the ‘message’ is trying to tell you….
- Develop an expectation that you can succeed rather than expecting the World to change around you and bring you success on a plate.
- Start a daily routine of writing down any ideas you have had during the day that previously would have remained just within the contents of your mind.
- Take some action to achieve the change and take the first step in a new direction. It may be learning a new skill, walking away from a destructive situation at work or at home or just taking the small step of deciding to do something a bit differently… A change of attitude!
- Act as though you have a positive attitude to life even if you don’t initially believe it deep down. For example, if you’re feeling ‘nervous’ about a situation, pretending to feel confident and ‘doing it anyway’ often helps to develop confidence and as in the words of Suzanne Jeffers (author) FEEL THE FEAR AND DO IT ANYWAY!
In the popular film/books about THE SECRET and THE LAW OF ATTRACTION, we are taught to mentally shift our attitude toward ourselves and ACT, LOOK AND FEEL SUCCESSFUL and the Success will usually follow! We are told to “Mentally become that which you wish to achieve” i.e. Believe it will happen and it usually will…..Why?
It’s not that those you see as being ‘successful’ are necessarily any more intelligent or luckier than you are, it’s that they believed in their own success, had a clear vision and took action toward achieving their ambition!
So what can you do to start changing your attitude?
How many times have you had ideas that have remained as ‘ideas’ in your mind? And then suddenly you notice that someone has had the same ‘idea’ and has become a success as a result? That’s the difference – We can keep the idea in our head or we can act on the idea!
Even just writing the idea down in detail is a positive Action and you may be surprised what develops from just doing that simple thing of writing it down! Take a peek at my previous posts on ‘Vision Boards’
- How to Create a Dream Vision Board
- How I created my first Vision Board Magic
- 5 Steps to Create Your ‘Focus’ Vision Board
Remember: Age is no barrier to your success and particularly now with the access to the World through the Internet. There are lots of examples of very young and elderly ‘entrepreneurs’ who have made millions either early or late in life or started living their dreams of travelling the world, experiencing new adventures, learning new skills etc.
You’re never Too Old and it’s never TOO LATE to make a change that will bring positive benefits to your life!!! You don’t have to stay ‘stuck in a rut’ or ‘stay working in a job you hate’ or ‘stay in a relationship that is destructive’ etc….
If you set your attitude on a course for success,
you CAN achieve it! Good Luck…
For more inspiring stories – visit http://www.thechangeblog.com/